Before my dad was all-in keto, Snackwells’ Devil’s Food Cookie Cakes were one of his favorite packaged snack foods. This weekend, he challenged me to recreate a keto version. Challenge accepted ;). At the end, he took a bite out of a real one so we could compare their appearance, and I have to admit, I’m impressed with the outcome (left, real one; right, mine):
1 stick butter, softened
5 tbsp granulated Swerve
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp monk fruit juice concentrate
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tbsp chocolate protein powder
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup powdered Swerve
2 envelopes Knox gelatin
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 bar Lily’s creamy milk chocolate
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Mix together softened butter and Swerve until fluffy.
3) Add in all other cookie ingredients and stir well.
4) Roll dough into small, flattened discs and place on a cookie sheet covered in parchment. (They don’t change shape much in the oven).
5) Bake for around 10 minutes or until done.
6) Allow cookies to cool, and once they are cool, place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, as this will make it much easier to add the next layer.
7) In a small pot, mix together the heavy whipping cream, vanilla, powdered Swerve and gelatin over a low heat.
8) Remove from heat and pour mixture into a Nutri bullet. Pulse for around 2 minutes (this thickens the marshmallow and makes it more fluffy).
9) Dip frozen cookies into the marshmallow. Fully coat, and place on wax paper once coated. Return cookies to the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
10) In a small microwavable dish, melt the coconut oil and Lily’s chocolate together, stirring frequently in short increments to avoid burning.
11) Dip frozen cookies into the chocolate layer.
12) Once all cookies have been dipped, dip again to add a second coat.
13) Place in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes to allow chocolate coating to harden.